Saturday, February 2, 2008

A possible cryptozoological theme song....

I was reading some comments at UFO Mystic, and remembered this great Shriekback song that always conjured up images of weird creatures in my head...

In a jungle of the senses
Tinkerbell and Jack the ripper
Love has no meaning, not where they come from
But we know pleasure is not that simple

Very little fruit is forbidden
Sometimes we wobble, sometimes we're strong
But you know evil is an exact science
Being carefully correctly wrong

Chorus
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home
Big Black Nemesis, parthenogenesis
No one move a muscle as the dead come home

We feel like Greeks, we feel like Romans
Centaurs and monkeys just cluster round us
We drink elixirs that we refinefrom
the juices of the dying

We are no monsters, we're moral people
and yet we have the strength to do this
This is the splendour of our achievement
Call in the airstrike with a poison kiss

Chorus
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home
Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

How bad it gets, you can't imagine
the burning wax, the breath of reptiles
god is not mocked, he knows our business
Karma could take us at any moment

Cover him up.....I think we're finished
You know it's never been so exotic
but I don't know, my dreams are visions
We could still end up with the great big fishes

Chorus
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home
Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

------------------------------------




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the longest time I thought the lyrics were "Big black nemesis, author of Genesis." It kinda works.

richelle said...

that's funny, and it does work; i used to think it was "big black nemsis...our photogenesis" which does not work.

richelle said...

I wanted to note the video is rather full of occult imagery, in particular the plant with their faces on the blooms is straight out of the voynich manuscript.

Anonymous said...

Check it out. Dave Allen is now a marketing executive.

richelle said...

and jello biafra was a presidential contender in a real party. and of course there was tragic poor arthur killer kane at his family history center position. there should be a 'where are they now' film.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh New York Doll.

Declared "one of my favorite movies ever" by both my gay filmophile uncle and my Mormon bishop father in law. Now how often does that happen?

richelle said...

not often--and I would say only a border creature of the liminal such as kane could produce that.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally hooked on this song again.

BoneFolder said...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard Oil and Gold. In fact, I routinely stick This Big Hush and Coelocanth onto mixes I make -- that guy's voice was perfect for the atmospheres he created.

I'd never seen the video before -- must have missed that episode of 120 Minutes. I think I would have liked it a lot more before I knew where the references came from. You're absolutely right about the Voynich manuscript -- I thought the same thing, and I only learned about that a few years ago.

I'm not sure I would have liked him as much if I'd seen the awful intro to that video though. It's not that it's pretentious; I feed off of that sort of thing, even as an aging, balding geek. But if you're gonna do pretentious, you can't read it off of a sheet, for crying out loud!

BoneFolder said...

Gotta give him props for managing a rhyme for "parthenogenesis" though.